www.ranchotequila.net

A Tequila Blog by Drew "Pale Rider" Townson

"There's nothing better than good tequila, and there's nothing worse than bad tequila," Drew Townson

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Oh No! The Tequila Bubble is About to Pop!

Bubble piece from CNBC.com (Thank you Lippy!)

Original Tequila Aficionado article by Christopher Zarus, AKA "Dr. Doom"

Y'know, I think the guy who wrote this is probably one of those people that is in on a "trend" early, or before the mass popularity happens. Once the thing starts to take off and Joe Blow on Main Street USA starts to talk about the thing, Mr. "I'm always ahead of the curve" is going to say, "I'm outta here!" It's a first-in, first-out" mentality. I wonder where dude was in 1992 when I had my first taste of 100% agave tequila? He was probably about to jump ship on Green Day.


Sailing off the edge! It's over!

I can confidently say that here in my neck of the woods, tequila is still on the runway, slowly ramping to popularity as knowledge improves. Around here, it's still about Cuervo and Patron. The more savvy drinker may have tried Don Julio, Milagro or Herradura. A lot of people I talk to think Sauza Tres Gen is the best of the best. And I actually played a bar the other night, Precinct in Somerville, that had El Tesoro. That's a first (for a non-tequila bar).

I agree, however, that there are too many brands, and surely some of the newer, smaller names are not going to survive. Would I invest in a start-up Tequila brand now? No. Would I have paid $80 million for Cabo Wabo? Hell no!

No comments:

Post a Comment