www.ranchotequila.net

A Tequila Blog by Drew "Pale Rider" Townson

"There's nothing better than good tequila, and there's nothing worse than bad tequila," Drew Townson

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Behind The Cuervo Name: Tequila's Family Dynasty


Expensive Cuervo

First, let me make it clear that I am not a Jose Cuervo hater. It is true that there was a time when I slammed anything with "The C-Word" on the label. Why? Because the historic Tequila brand was responsible for too many porcelain-hugging episodes in my college years. You too, right? For decades they have imported in to the USA mixto swill called "Gold" and "Especial". To this day many Americans consider this Tequila. I can't imagine going in to a bar and ordering an margarita without specifying or at least knowing what tequila is going in to it. But people still do that, and they get what they deserve. Let's not waste precious agave on them. Luckily myself and others are enlightened enough to know better.

Y'know what? That's Cuervo's business model, and due to good marketing they gave and got what the market would bear. Hat's off to 'em! If you make cheap crap and people pay good money for it, why not keep making it? I would! Has the Cuervo family been laughing at us all the way to the bank? Probably. They are still the number one tequila in the world. But I have learned that Cuervo is part of the origin and the fabric and the heart and soul of tequila. They are a founding family and a dynasty, responsible for building the industry and, lets even say, "la cultura de tequila".

The DO make some brands that I like. One of them, Centennario, is good by anyone's standards. I find Tradicional a very decent 100% agave for margaritas and even shots. I did not, however, like the expensive high-end blanco they released last year called "Platino". But I am a blanco snob, as you already know. This year I will take the plunge and try one of the reservas.

In 2009 Cuervo celebrates its 250th year. Let's give La Familia a respectful nod and salute the First Family of Tequila.

From Tequila.Net here's a nice article on the company, the cellars of reserva, the Cuervo legacy, and their plans for artful bottle releases for the big anniversary.

Cuervo Reserva Review

Cuervo Factoids


Artist Marco Arce will design the Cuervo 250th Reserva de la Familia Bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment